Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Art of Flight-Mini Review

I've been sitting on reviewing The ART OF FLIGHT snowboard film since it came out..  I wanted to really dissect the snowoarding, music and cinematography / final production.

Image
Let me first say, being an avid snowboarder, film maker and a fan of BRAIN FARM's work since THAT'S IT, THAT's ALL, I couldn't WAIT for this film to drop.  We were teased with the first Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kh29_SERH0Y that dropped in February then with their official website www.artofflightmovie.com.  Once I started following Curt Morgan and TRice on Twitter and facebook, seeing the photos they were posting every week for 6 months, I knew this would be something historic.  Maybe not historic just in the snowboard community but through out the world of film making.  There are big time Hollywood directors who were talking about this film for months.

The opening montage was epic and nuts wrapped into a gnarly package.  From the DEEP BASE that the Dolby Studios provided to the clapper Rice used in his snowboard shed.  The cinematography was the best I've ever seen in any sports related film.  They used MANY cameras such as something simple from a HERO GOPRO $300 helmet cam to the RED EPIC $60,000+ and for mega slow motion the PHANTOM $100,000+.  Each camera has a purpose in every film and they used maybe 8 different types of cameras throughout the movie.

Maybe my favorite part didn't have snowboarding in it.  It shows what they do when stuck in place like Alaska with nothing to do but shoot guns, fish and drink.  It's something I can totally see me and my buddies doing.  My other favorite parts was the opening montage in Alaska with John Jackson and Rice, killing it and when they were all in Jackson Hole.

I did feel like the trip down to South America was kind of pointless.  I think it's a great piece to watch but the snow looked horrible and that Rice and Lando were very limited on where the could ride and what they could do.  I think those 2 parts could have gone into the bonus part of the DVD.  One thing I did notice that I haven't heard anyone else talk about.  In the trailer they hint about a section based in Austria, which I was getting stoked on but I didn't see 1 clip from Austria in the body of the film.  I was kind of disappointed for that.

Instead of rambling on, I'll just get to the chase.  "The ART OF FLIGHT", is INSANE.  It's the best snowboard film to ever be released.  Others have tried to say "THAT'S IT THAT'S ALL" was better, which I totally don't agree with at all.  Like I said above, I think a few sections could have been replaced or taken out.  It doesn't matter if you've snowboarded before or not, this film will make your jaw drops.  If you don't know what a double cork 1080 is, you'll find out soon!!

I give THE ART OF FLIGHT a 4.6 of  5.  WATCH IT ON BLUERAY!!!

Image
Image

1 comment:

  1. As much as you've hyped this I am shocked you gave it a 4.6 instead of the full 5.

    ReplyDelete